How to navigate the software
Momento's software allows you to create your perfect photo book. Knowing your way around the tools and features before you jump into the design process will give you a headstart. Below we outline the different ways to access the tools and view your project. We also have a How to use Layout View page with details on how to use the tools.
The main interface
Like many applications the menu at the top left of the screen gives you access to all the tools and settings in the software, via drop down lists.
There are five different screens that step through the design process and offer different views on a project:
- Start: Select the product you want to make, its size and shape (more)
- Sort: A list view to sequence or size photos, add or delete pages (more)
- Layout: The canvas where you add or edit photos, pages, graphics and text (more)
- Preview: A non-editable full screen view for reviewing design as double pages
- Export: To check for file issues and export files for proofing and ordering (more)
The left panel is where you access all the content to drag-and-drop into your project. This includes:
Panel sub menus
Some of the panels on the left and right side of the software have an additional submenu that provides extra functionality just for that panel.
If you want more screen space you can hide the left or right panels, or both, by clicking the small arrows in the top bar next to the panel tabs. This is handy when editing landscape shaped books.
From this menu you can access Cover vew and use the arrow buttons to step through the pages of your book. Click the page icons to set the Canvas to single or double page view, or add, delete and move pages. (more)
The large area in the centre of the screen is where most of the magic happens as you layout a book or edit an automated design. The Canvas is visible in Layout view and Cover view. (more)
Single or double page view
By default the software shows the left and right page together, so you can see the flow of content across the page spread. You can also choose to view one page at a time by clicking the paper icon in the Page Tools menu. This makes the Canvas fill more of the screen so you can see more detail in your design.
If you work on a small screen you may choose to edit in Layout View without the tools visible. Press the Tab key and the software will fill the entire screen. To return to the normal view, press the Esc key or Tab again.
The dotted line near the edge of each page indicates the safe area. When adding content, keep it within this line, or extend it all the way off the page until the Edge Warning disappears, as content outside the safe area may be trimmed off during binding. Also avoid placing any vital parts of photos or text in across the gutter where the book is bound. (more)
This panel shows a thumbnail view of all the pages in your project and allows you to access any page by scrolling horizontally, then clicking on the desired page.
Cover View is where you design the front and back cover, the dust-jacket flaps, and set the spine text. It is only accessible from Layout View via four different methods:
- Click Cover thumbnail in Pages panel
- Click Cover button at the top of the canvas
- Go to Page Menu and select Go To Cover
- Use the Ctrl+Home keyboard shortcut
The right panel is packed with goodies including access to the:
- Tools panel: including tools to adjust and arrange photos
- Updater panel: where you can download embellishment packages
- Uploader panel: where you can upload a finished project file before ordering
- Inspiration panel: presenting links to online samples, resources and discounts
- Quick Help panel: A handy summary of all the buttons and tools in each view as well as Keyboard shortcuts
This panel is home to all the 'one-click' photo and page editing tools that can adjust an item's:
To apply a Tool effect
There are four ways to apply the tool's features:
- Select item then click a button in Tools Panel
- Right-click item then select from drop down menu
- Go to File Menu and select from sub-menus
- Use the Keyboard Shortcuts
This panel gives you access to the Embellishment packages holding hundreds of decorative graphics, frames and backgrounds, that you can download and install in the software. If there is a new version of the software available, the Updater Panel is where you are able to access and install it.
This panel allows you to locate and upload your finished MASTER.mbf Project file to Momento's website, ready to order.
This panel features links to handy tips, how to videos, special offers and inspiring projects to view. It is updated regularly.
Quick Help panel
As the name suggests, this panel presents a short description of all the major functions, screens, tools and settings in the Momento software. You'll also find a list of keyboard shortcuts, that allow you to access everything in the software with a few taps on the keyboard rather than scrolling through menus or clicking on icons. This can make the design process much faster. Visit Software Help for a full list of shortcuts.
Photo Credits: Katherine Williams